The rapid development of the world and today’s lifestyle causes a lot of people have hearing loss. Hearing loss is being partly or totally unable to hear sound in one or both ears. It is common to lose a little bit of hearing after age 20. Hearing problems often start slowly over time. They rarely lead to total deafness. There are many reasons why hering loss occurs including too much earwax, a viral infection, or too much constant exposure to loud noises. However, aging is the main cause for hearing loss. Most traditional doctors believe there is no possible way to get your natural hearing back once it’s gone due to the damaged nerve cells.
Hearing loss can be divided into two main categories:
- Conductive hearing loss (CHL) occurs because of a mechanical problem in the outer or middle ear. The three tiny bones of the ear (ossicles) may not conduct sound properly. Or, the eardrum may not vibrate in response to sound. Fluid in the middle ear can cause this type of hearing loss.
- Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) is due to a problem with the inner ear. It most often occurs when the tiny hair cells (nerve endings) that move sound through the ear are injured, diseased, do not work correctly, or have died.
CHL can often be reversed. SNHL cannot be reversed. People who have both forms of hearing loss are said to have mixed hearing loss. Hearing loss may be caused by fluid that stays in the ear after an ear infection. Ear infections are common in children.
Other ear problems that can cause hearing loss:
- Buildup of wax in the ear canal
- Foreign object stuck in the ear canal
- Hole in the eardrum
- Scar on the eardrum from repeat infections
If you have hearing loss, either Conductive Hearing Loss or Sensorineural Hearing Loss, you can use hearing aids to help your hearing. Although a hearing aid cannot make one’s hearing back to normal, but it can significantly improve human’s hearing ability. You can find various types of hearing aids on the market today. Today’s technological developments influence the development of hearing aids. One of hearing aids that can be found at this time is the Digital Hearing Aids. Digital Hearing Aids has applied an advanced microprocessor and signal processing that ensures a fit flexibility to listen a sound or speech. The small micro-processor is embedded on Digital Hearing Aids make these products smaller, lighter and almost invisible.